Part P

Part P

Fixed electrical installation work must meet building regulations to ensure that they are safe. Part P states that anyone carrying out electrical installation work in a home must ensure that the work is designed and installed to protect occupants from fire and electrocution.

[ult_animation_block animation=”shake” animation_duration=”1″ animation_delay=”1.5″ animation_iteration_count=”1″ opacity=”off”][/ult_animation_block]

What is Part P?

Building Regulations Part P is designed to ensure electrical work carried out in homes is safe. Part P is aimed at protecting home occupants, and requires electrical work to be installed in a manner that will prevent fire and electric shock.

Electricians that carry out work within England and Wales must comply with Part P Building Regulations. Electricians in Scotland must comply with Building Standards, whilst Northern Ireland currently don’t have a requirement.

You can find out more about Part B building regulations on the Ministry or Housing, Communities and Local Government website.

Part B Building Regulations UK

Need a Part P Registered Electrician

Do you need electrical work carried out? We can help you find a great deal by comparing prices of local Part P registered electricians. To find local registered electricians in your area, simply enter your details below.

Did you know…

By using our registered electrician finder tool, you help us raise £5 for an amazing charity. There is no cost to you, and there is no obligation to proceed. So, what are you waiting for? Find a local Part P registered electrician in your area.

Part P Certificate

After completing electrical installations or repairs, your electrician will provide a Part P certificate that certifies the work has been completed to the correct standards. Part P certificates are used for residential buildings, and ensure that electric installations are carried in a manner that will help protect people from fire and electric shock.

You can find out more about EICR certificates and Electrical Safety Certificates on our detailed pages.

Electrical Installation Safety at Home

Electrical installation work must only be carried out by people who are qualified, have the knowledge and skill to avoid endangering themselves or others. It is strongly recommended to always use a registered electrician, who will provide an electrical safety certificate after the work is complete. You can use our tool above to find Building Regulation compliant electricians near you.

Before starting starting any electrical installations at home, you must either:

The faster and cheaper option is often to use a registered electrician. This way you will not have to pay building control charges and the electrician will take care of your certificates and installation for you.

Looking for Local Registered Electricians?

Part P Building Regulations

All electrical installation work within a home or garden (including outbuildings and conservatories) must meet Part P Building Regulations.

Apart from some minor repairs and installations, all electrical work must be either be reported to the local authority or be carried out by an electrician who is registered with one of the Government approved providers.

Legally, it is the responsibility of the homeowner or landlord to ensure that all electrical installations meet Part P Building Regulations. Failing to do so can be a criminal offence, and local authorities can enforce the removal or repair of installations that do not comply with Building Regulations.

[interactive_banner_2 banner_title=”Did you know…” banner_desc=”Our Home Improvement Pages Help Charity!” banner_image=”id^1495|url^|caption^null|alt^Cost of Home Improvements in the UK|title^Home Improvements UK|description^null” banner_link=”||target:%20_blank|” delay_seconds=”300″ banner_style=”style10″ banner_color_bg=”#303030″ image_opacity=”0.9″ image_opacity_on_hover=”0.5″ banner_title_font_size=”desktop:29px;” banner_desc_font_size=”desktop:18px;”][ultimate_spacer height=”30″ height_on_tabs=”0″ height_on_tabs_portrait=”0″ height_on_mob_landscape=”0″ height_on_mob=”0″]

Advertiser Disclosure is an independent platform containing comparison tools, voucher codes, deals, reviews, money saving articles and information that aims to provide you with tools to make better decisions. Whilst we remain independent, some retailers or brands may pay us a commission when you use a voucher code, deal, comparison tool or click from our website to theirs and complete a purchase or action. We split our commission 50/50 with our charity partners, so when you support Assistall you are also supporting amazing UK charities. You can find out more about how it works here. We may receive compensation to promote certain voucher codes, deals or information on, but this does not influence our independent reviews and information. Whilst we endeavour to provide extensive coverage of all deals and offers, priority in posting and updating this information is given to retailers and brand who will pay us a commission. As such, there may be additional or alternative deals, offers, services, providers and products may be available elsewhere. Please do not interpret the order information appears on as an endorsement or recommendation from us.