Painter and Decorator
Painters and Decorators can transform your home into the ideal living space. Choosing a professional painter and decorator to paint your home can save a lot of hassle, and will also ensure a high quality finish on your walls, ceilings and doors.
Painters & Decorators
Hiring a painter and decorator can be an exciting project, as they can quickly transform and modernise the look and feel of your home. Before rushing in, it is important to choose the right professional for your needs and also plan exactly what you want your painter to achieve.
Within the UK, there are a lot of local painters and decorators available. So, how do you choose the right one for your needs? Below we help you understand everything you need to know before hiring a painter and decorator (including average prices), helpful money saving tips, and advice on how to find a reliable local contractor.
Compare Painter & Decorator Prices
Are you looking to update your lounge, bedroom or whole home? We can help you find a great deal by comparing prices of local painters and decorators near you. To find out how much a painter and decorator costs in your area, simply use the price calculator below.
Did you know…
By comparing prices or requesting a quote, you help us raise £2.50 for an amazing charity. There is no cost to you, and there is no obligation to proceed. So, what are you waiting for? Find out how much a painter and decorator costs in your area.
Painter and Decorator Prices
The cost to paint a 3-bedroom house or flat will normally range from £2,000 to £3,000, including labour and materials. Like with any home improvement project, there are numerous factors that can influence the cost of painting a home. Below are some of the main pricing components:
- Property Size: As you may expect, larger homes will cost more to paint than a smaller building. Not only will a larger property be more time consuming to prepare and paint, but more materials will also be required, which will increase the cost.
- Time of Year: Throughout the warmer months, there is typically a higher demand for professional painters and decorators. As a result of the increased demand, the prices are also often higher at these times. For the best painter and decorator prices, choose to have your house painted in the cooler winter months.
- Preparation: The amount of preparation work required will influence the final cost of painting and decorating your house. For properties that require minimal preparation work, less labour time will be required and the overall cost of the project will be reduced.
- Location: Painting and decorating prices differ throughout the UK. Generally, the highest interior painting prices are found in London and the South East of England. Locations without painters and decorators nearby will also have higher costs.
To find out exactly how much a painter and decorator costs in your local area, use our Painting & Decorating price calculator above.
How much does it cost to paint a room or house?
Below we have a helpful table with the average painting and decorating prices for different sized properties and projects. Understanding the average painter prices will ensure you receive a fair price and can be used to negotiate a better deal.
|Job Description||Cost (estimate)|
|Decorate and Paint a Room (including walls, ceiling and all woodwork)||£300 to £500|
|Paint a 2-Bedroom Flat or House (interior)||£1,500 to £2,000|
|Paint a 3-Bedroom Flat or House (interior)||£2,000 to £3,000|
|Paint a 4-Bedroom House (interior)||£2,500 to £3,500|
|Paint a 5 Bedroom House (interior)||£3,400 to £4,300|
|Decorating Prices Per Square Metre||£3 to £10|
These prices will hopefully help you better understand how much to decorate a room or paint inside a 4-bed house, but they are only for guidance. For accurate pricing, please use our Painting & Decorating Pricing Tool.
Understanding Painter and Decorator Prices
When comparing any home improvement project, it is always compare like-for-like quotes to ensure the service and finished project will be the same. This will not only help prevent any hidden cost appearing on your bill, but will also ensure you are accurately comparing the quoted prices.
When comparing painting and decorating prices, you should ensure that the quoted prices include VAT, and the work will include painting of all walls, ceilings, woodwork (as required), covering all furniture and flooring, and making any minor repairs that may be required. It is important to check that the quote includes everything you need from your painter and decorator before beginning the work.
Check Painter & Decorating Prices from Local Suppliers & Fitters!
Professional Painter and Decorators
A large proportion of a painting and decorating quote is for the labour costs to carry out the work. As a result, the level of experience and skill of a decorator will generally reflect the prices they charge.
For more experienced painters, the prices will be higher than less experienced and skilled contractors. However, for the money, you will be receiving a talented tradesmen who has years of experience cutting in, fixing damaged areas, covering damp and providing a smooth finish.
A great way of understanding the level of workmanship provided by a painter and decorator is to inspect their work. Photos, videos and client testimonials will help you gauge the level of service provided by a decorator, but, if possible, try to see a finished project in person.
What a Painter and Decorator can help with…
Below are a few of the most common projects painters and decorators are hired for:
- Applying coats of paint (primer and undercoat) to internal walls and ceilings.
- Hanging wallpaper, or removing unwanted wallpaper.
- Adding specialist finishes, such as marbling or glazes.
- Filling in holes, minor repairs and preparing a surface for painting.
- Buying and mixing paint in the right shade, as requested by the client.
As well as the projects listed above, many painters and decorators also install plasterboard walls and ceilings, stain decking, install tiling, and much more.
Prepare for Extras
Preparation is an important part of painting a homes interior. Not only will it make for a nicer finish, but correctly preparing your home to be painted will ensure the new paint lasts for many years to come.
Some preparation properties will require additional preparation, which can include the cost of your painting and decorating project. Below are a few examples:
- Damp patches will need to be coated with a sealant before they can be painted in your preferred colour.
- Peeling gloss paint on woodwork may need to be removed with a heat gun.
- Stains on ceilings and walls from smoke, soot or nicotine can’t simply be painted, but instead requires special preparation.
Whilst wallpaper removal can be carried out by your decorator, if you are on a tight budget, you may want to consider removing it yourself. Whilst removing wallpaper is a simple and straightforward process, it is time consuming, so can significantly increase costs.
Looking for Local Painters & Decorators?
Money Saving Tips
We love helping UK consumers save more on their home improvements. To ensure you receive the cheapest painting and decorating deals, we have put together some helpful tips and tricks.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are a few questions our visitors regularly ask about finding and hiring a trusted painter and decorator. Our answers below will hopefully help you, but if we have missed anything, please get in touch.
You do not need planning permission to paint the walls and ceilings within your home. In some cases, there are differing rules regarding planning permission, such homes within conservation zones. If you have any doubts, contact your local authority.
Painting and decorating your home can be a fun and rewarding project for DIY enthusiasts. You will require a few important tools, most of which can be purchased a local hardware stores. There are plenty of helpful tutorials videos that can walk you through every step of painting internal walls and ceilings.
If you have any doubts, or your property requires more extensive work that you don’t feel comfortable with (such as damp), you may want to consider using a professional to carry out some or all of the work.
In most cases, you won’t have to move out of your property whilst the painting is carried out, but having a empty house can help the painters and decorators complete the work much faster. You may choose to move out, as the smell of fresh paint can also be strong.
There are no specific qualifications that a painter or decorator must have, but it is generally recommended to choose a contractor who has experience in the field.
If your decorator is taking away waste (either such as old plasterboard), they should have a waste carriers licence.
Asking questions is a great way to better understand the quality and service you will receive. Below are a few questions that you can ask potential painter to find out about their experience and services.
- How long have you been painting and decorating?
- Do you have any example photos of your previous work?
- Can you provide testimonials or references?
- Do you have public liability insurance?
- How long will the installation take?
- Do you supply everything needed for the project?
- Are there any additional costs I should be aware of?
- Does your pricing include VAT?
- Will you take away any rubbish?
- Do you provide any discounts of concessions?
When you are undertaking a large home improvement project, such as painting and decorating, you want peace of mind if something was to go wrong. Many reputable painters will provide a warranty or guarantee for their workmanship and materials. Common warranties protect against paint cracking, fading or peeling for a set period of time.
It is always a good idea to check what warranty your chosen decorators provide.
It is recommended to always ensure your chosen installer has public liability insurance. This is an insurance that will protect you and your home if something was to go wrong during the project. You can request a copy of your painters PLI certificate, which they should be able to email or print for you.
experts & professionals
Money Saving Tips
offers and promo codes
Help UK Charities
charity when using our website